Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Benefits of teaching abroad

Teaching is an art, a skill and a challenge that can sometimes be more difficult than aiming in archery. In this article we discuss on the various benefits of teaching English in a foreign country.
A lot of teachers prefer working abroad for different reasons. Some common reasons behind teaching abroad are learning the new culture and the language, gaining professional success, earning and a lot of other opportunities as well. Many teachers who prefer to go abroad are English teachers as the language (English) commands a very high respect demand all over the world. In countries where English education is compulsory, one expects teachers to have advanced degrees and to be a native English speaker.
The Political Effect on the languageA lot of non-English-speaking countries that want to maintain relations with the US or the UK or countries that are in dispute with the two nations prefer to learn English for their communications. Hence there are no limits as to where a person can teach English.
Almost all of these countries have schools that teach English for both adults and young children.
The NeedsPeople abroad learn English for various reasons. While children may learn English as a part of their subject or for college purposes, adults may learn English for their business purposes or their relations with countries like the US and the UK. Some computer-related works demand a compulsory English knowledge although today, a lot of software have undergone translations in different languages.
The Time Frame AdvantageDifferent countries across the world have different time zones. Schools and colleges have different schedules of commencing classes. Hiring Adults for teaching in private sectors happens throughout the year. Hence these factors ensure that job openings exist throughout the year and that makes one more good reason for abroad teaching.
RequirementsMost countries require a native English teacher from UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many other countries. But some Asian countries need a bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible while other countries may require a teaching certificate. Some of the popular English teaching certificates are TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults).
The Earnings FactorMigrating to a foreign country is also because of the high payments offered. For example Asian countries like Japan and Vietnam usually pays very high salaries to its English teachers. On the other hand there are lots of other benefits offered like perks, travel tickets, insurance and other benefits in some of the countries. Few other countries like Russia, just pays a meagre salary to its teachers. In such circumstances, teachers often take up a part time job in order to improve their standard of living.
Great care should be taken as many schools abroad may not be recognized by the country’s embassy or the government. These schools may not live up to what they promise to be. Hence it will not be a bad idea to study the place and its reputation before taking up on them.

Friday, January 6, 2012

What if I get sick?

One fear people often have about traveling is not knowing what to do in case of illness or injury. We hope today's blog will put you at ease. The following information refers to policies in China.

Q. What do I do if I get mild symptoms, like a cold?
A. Most areas have walk-in clinics that will give you a diagnosis and a prescription.

Q. What if I have moderate to severe symptoms?
A. There are many hospitals in major areas that carry a full range of medical services, such as surgical operations. They will check your insurance and refer you elsewhere if necessary.

Q. How can I get an ambulance?
A. Dial 120 and an ambulance will arrive in a few minutes. The cost will be reasonable and they will take you to a hospital under your insurance, if time permits.

Q. If I have to stay in a hospital, will I have a private room?
A. Most rooms have 4 patients in them, so you will be sharing a room with 3 other patients.

Q. Where do I fill my prescription?
A. Hospitals have their own pharmacies, but they are more expensive than neighborhood pharmacies.

Q. Can I see a dentist?
A. There are many dental offices set up for foreigners. Check in advance to see if they are covered under your insurance or if you will need to pay out of pocket.

Q. Will my doctor speak English?
A. It is unlikely that your doctor or nurse will speak English. It is recommended that you bring a translator with you, or go to an expat hospital, specifically designed for foreigners.

Source: Live in Shanghai